Saturday, September 24, 2011

First Impressions: Fall 2011

It's time for a new season and a new First Impressions!



Films

Lion King 3D- September 16th
One of my all-time favorite Disney movies! I'm not a fan of 3D, but it'll be great to have a chance to see this in theaters. I probably won't blog about it, because the only difference between this and the original is the 3D.

Puss in Boots-November 4th
Looks like they intend this to be a stand-alone film, as it will be all new characters except for Puss. Considering that Puss in Boots is a parody of Zoro, I expect a lot of in-jokes and references to Zoro, along with the fairy tale and nursery rhyme parody that Shrek is associated with (Humpty Dumpty seems to be a major character). Oh and spoiler alert, Puss doesn't end up with that female cat in the trailer. I bet she was evil the whole time.

Happy Feet Two- November 18th
Oh you already know how this movie's going to go. It's going to be the exact same as the first one, with Mumble's kid as the lead.

Arthur Christmas-November 23
Another Christmas movie, but this one I want to see. Apparently Santa is an alien in this movie, so now I'm extremely curious about seeing it. From the people behind Wallace and Grommit, their first film since Flushed Away.

Cartoons
Allen Gregory- October 30th
The main character is an obnoxious douche and extremely unlikeable. Props for the gay parents, which appears to be treated in a sensitive manner based on promos.

Regular Show Season Three-September 19th
It is taking everything within my power not to shout an obnoxious catchphrase from the show. Yeaaah-uh! (Crap, couldn't stop myself.) Seriously though, love the show. Animation isn't the greatest, but its writing is the perfect blend of humor, surrealism, and cool for me.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season Two-September 17th
Yeah, I'm a brony (Girls are bronies too, because it's just as embarrasing for me to like this show as the male member due to my age) so I'm excited about this season. Saw the first episode of the season already, and it looks like they're doing the same thing as the first season, a two-parter season premiere, than a bunch of one shot episodes.

Secret Mountain Fort Awesome-September 26th
I'm not a big fan of gross out humor, and this series looks like its nothing but that. Not looking forward to this, not one bit.

I Heart Tuesdays
Does this series actually exist? I can't find any information about it anywhere.But it's on Cartoon Networks list of upcoming shows.

Turn a Gundam
So Cartoon Network has a Gundam show for the first time in a long time. Considering that Cartoon Network hasn't shown anime besides Pokemon and Bakugan in quite some time, and this particular Gundam series is over ten years old now, this is surprising news. Maybe this'll bring in the Cartoon Network of my childhood, with tons of anime in a ultra cool programming block. I'm not holding my breath.

Green Lantern
 Eh....Animation doesn't look that great. I don't know enough about Green Lantern to be hyped or irritated by this news. I wonder if animated series for the other summer superhero movies are going to come out. It's rather strange that the cartoon world is refusing to jump on the superhero bandwagon like Hollywood is. You would think that they would be making cartoons about every single superhero at this point.

Total Drama Island: Revenge of the Island October
This series can be pretty fun, and I'll watch it if it's on, but I don't keep track of it very well. They're doing a new cast and going back to the island, which is a good idea on the part of the creators. After you've taken the same contestants to the four corners of the Earth, there's not much else you can do with them, except space.
 
Kung Fu Panda Legends of Awesomeness-October 1st
It's not a surprise that this'll be made into a series. It's one of Dreamworks more popular movies, and the potential for an animated series is definitely there. Fun trivia: The people who scored Avatar and the martial arts consultant, Sifu Kisu, from Avatar will be working on this show. Now that's awesome!

Anime
Working'!!- September 3rd
  Second season of Working!! The first season was a decent series, but I haven't finished it due to the fact that the box set is way more than I would want to pay for this series. Ah well :P

Busou Shink Moon Angel- September 7th
Short 5 minute episodes with a plotline very similar to Angelic Layer. Not surprising, considering that it's basically a commericial for an action figure line.  Saw the first episode, and it was okay.

Battle Spirits:Heroes-September 18th
Hey look it's Yu-gi-oh! I mean Bakugan! I mean every single other popular children's anime franchise!

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 September 24th
Second season of a popular yaoi series I haven't seen yet.

Shinryaku?! Ika Musume-September 27th
Second season the series I haven't yet seen, but has seriously appealed to the moe fanbase. The description of the moe character wanting to take over the world amuses me, so I might try to watch the first season now.

Bakuman 2 October 1st
Second season of the popular series about aspiring manga-ka.

C^3 October 1st
Meh. Looks uninteresting, and an excuse for girls in school clothes to fight each other and rip each others clothing off.

Cross Fight B-Daman-October 2nd
 Okay, is it just me, or are there way more series this season based on toys than normal? Same reaction as Battle Spirits Heroes.

Hunter X Hunter-October 2nd
A remake of an anime based on the manga by YuYu Hakusho creator Togashi Yoshihiro. While I'm not entirely sure why the anime needs remade, I've heard the manga praised for being very creative and for the supporting characters being just as important as the main character.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon- October 2nd
Alternate universe stories are pretty interesting, but the school fantasy part of the description turns me off a bit. I haven't had good luck with school fantasy series. Reminds me somewhat of Code Geass.

Fate/Zero -October 2nd
Prequel to the series Fate/Stay Night. I've had the series recommended to me, but I've never taken a look at it. It just doesn't appeal to me. I wonder if I can watch the prequel without confusion.

Phi-Brain: Kami no Puzzle -October 2nd
Sounds like a somewhat more intelligent Yu-Gi-Oh! series.

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! October 2nd
Another adaptation of an eroge. Can't decide if  the martial arts element makes it more generic or more interesting, but it's gotten my attention. Plus, the fact that an adaptation of an eroge has more than one male character is interesting.

Tamayura ~hitose -October 3rd
What a pleasant looking iyashikei from the people behind Aria. So looking forward to it!

Chihayafuru-October 04th
Looks like a cute little shoujo series. There never is enough shoujo anime series being made, so I'm hoping for a good series. They'll make "SRSBSN" competition anime about anything won't they?

Kimi to Boku- October 4th
A pleasant looking slice of life series. The animation looks nice, but I refuse to believe that this is supposed to be shounen, it looks so shoujo. Looking forward to this one.

Maken-Ki!- October 5th
Looks like a generic romantic comedy harem series. Not much else to say about it.

Mashiroiro Symphony October 5th
Your standard adaptation of an eroge. The animation is rather nice looking  I guess.

Persona 4 the Animation October 7th
So here's something interesting. A animated series based on a game that's chronologically the fifth in its series, and no anime about the first two games. Either the games are pretty stand-alone, or this is going to be like Final Fantasy Advent Children for me, confusing as hell. Looks like a mystery series.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai- October 7th
Yeah, this series looks generic as hell, but something about it draws me... Maybe the idea of a group of people with absolutely no friends band together to support one another seriously appeals to me. Of course, all the characters are going to be "eccentric" and "quirky".

Shakugan no Shana III- October 8th
I was wondering when this season would come out. I do like this series, its a guilty pleasure of mine. The characters aren't great, but the setting and world it takes place in just fascinates me, when the series isn't being a generic romantic comedy and going to the beach, pool or an onsen. The animation is still very good.

 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE October 9th
New Gundam series. The Gundams look nice, but the character designs remind me too much of Digimon. I don't know enough about the Gundam franchise to comment much on this one.

Mirai Nikki- October 9th
I am really looking forward to this series! It just looks so fascinating, and the manga has gotten lots of positive reviews.
Ben-To -October 9th
Did we really need a war about bento? Stupid plot is stupid.

Guilty Crown- October 14th
For whatever reason, this series just doesn't catch my interest. However, it's a noitamina series, so I have very high hopes for it.

UN-GO- October 14th
Another noitamina series, this one is a mystery series, with another little girl detective. Why does every season need one of these? I'm going to blame a combination of moe and Detective Conan for the obsession with diminutive detectives. Noitamina just isn't doing it for me this season. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

Fujilog Second Season October
The second season of a series that has no license or fansubs, so I doubt I'll be able to see this series either. A pity, it sounds like a unique anime.

Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing ????
How did I miss the original series??! This looks amazing! A steampunk series with beautiful animation, I'm totally in! It looks like I don't have to have seen the original to see this series.

Lupin III (Fourth Series) ????
Fourth television series from the iconic Lupin III series, a phenomenon in Japan that never caught on in the US. Wish I could find some damn information about this, like when it airs, or if its a remake, reboot or continuation of the series.

Anime Films
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion September 3rd
 Second film in the Mardock Scramble film series. This sounds pretty interesting.

Gekijou-ban Tennis no Ouji-sama September 3rd
Prince of Tennis film. Did this series really need a movie? Remind me again why this series is so freakin popular?

Tekken: Blood Vengence 3D September 3rd
Oh look, another Tekken movie. And it's in 3D.

Hotarubi no Mori e September 17th
 This movie looks beautiful. It has a very Ghibli feel to it, and its the kind of anime that I really enjoy. Here's hoping for a state-side release.

Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku October 1st
This film is also a beautiful looking piece of cinema. The animation is nice and the story sounds interesting. Really hoping for a US release for this one.

Eiga Suite Precure October 29th
Precure movie. Jeez, this magical girls series is truly a phenomenon in Japan. I don't think I've seen a magical girl series this long since Sailor Moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment