Monday, June 20, 2011

What the Future Holds

As I'm still in the early beginnings of this blog, I'm still working out what exactly it is I want to do with the blog. And with the first anime of the summer season already started, it seems like a good time to reevaluate what the purpose behind this blog is. Yes, it's a blog about animation and all things related to it, but animation is just a broad topic, that's there's an infinite number of things I could talk about, and infinite ways I could go about it. Should I focus on new releases, analyzing the new material coming out in graphic novel, cartoon, manga, anime, comic etc format, or should I take a look at cultural icons and analyze what made them famous? Should I track down and review obscure series, movies and comics? Episode by episode/volume by volume reviews, or review an entire series in one single review? Should I talk about the latest news in animation? Can I just randomly rant incoherently about trends in fandom that annoy the piss out of me, or should things be on an impersonal and professional level?

There are some things I definitely want to do. This anime season I plan to try out and blog every new series. I'll do an episode by episode review for about three episodes, and a general analysis when the season is over. I want to do this not just for anime, but for all the animated series I can get access to (As much as I'd love to see Indian or German cartoons, people just don't license or put up fansubs of those shows, and I only speak English) I also really want to look at all the cartoon shorts of a particular character, such as Felix or Oswald, and write about the rise and fall of those characters. That would of course require lots of research to do correctly, to properly look at the cultural significance of specific characters, and how and why they fell in or out of popularity.

I would hate for this blog to be completely overrun by anime, because anime blogs are frankly a dime a dozen. It is much easier for me to stay up to date on anime news however, because I have two different websites I constantly frequent that feed me a constant supply of the latest anime news, and nothing like that for cartoon, graphic novel, or webcomic news, so it's much tougher for me to search out the latest releases. It's also difficult for me to review recent games, because I don't personally have any of the current consoles, although there are PC games I could definitely analyze and review. I will try my best to stay up to date and relevant, while honoring and analyzing the classics and maybe even introducing some buried gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment